We held a public exhibition on Thursday 10th November 2016 at the Holy Rood Church to present the leading coastal protection option. Additional drop in events were held on the 11th and 14th November at the Titchfield Haven Visitor Centre to provide information about the leading coastal protection option.
*Here are some of the results gained from the questionnaires we asked the visitors to complete for us...*
“The aim of this project is to develop, design and build a cost effective sea defence option, at Hill Head in Fareham, which maintains amenity and leisure access along this frontage for the lifetime of the structure.”
Why are we doing Phase 2?
- The existing gabion basket and concrete bagwork seawalls are unsuitable defences for an exposed coastal location.
- The seawalls have reached the end of their serviceable life and cannot withstand exposure to storm wave action.
- Increased storminess over the last 3 years has contributed to beach erosion and seawall deterioration.
- Doing nothing risks the loss of the much loved promenade and beach huts in the short term and Cliff Road and residential properties in the long term.
Phase 2 draft preferred option
- The preferred option is to build a sheet pile wall with concrete capping beam
- Widens the promenade by approximately 1.5 metres (5 feet), improving public access along the frontage
- Straightens out the “kink” in the promenade
- Provides an increased wall height by 0.6m (2 feet). This will address the current wave overtopping which has made the promenade impassable in previous storms
Artist impression of the proposed increased promenade width and sea wall replacement, subject to licences and consents.
Key advantages of the Phase 2 preferred option
- The beach huts can remain in place for the duration of the works
- This option has the least environmental impacts
- Shortest construction duration, minimising impacts to the local area
- Simplest construction methods
- The sheet pile wall is the most cost effective option
- The existing seawall can be partially encapsulated within the new seawall
If you would like more information on the completion of Phase 1 and the proposed Phase 2 works, please click here to view the seawall replacement exhibition leaflet.
If you would like further information on the Hill Head Coastal Protection Scheme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube! Follow or like us for up to date facts, videos and pictures
Please click on the links below to find us...