Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance

There is an agreement between the UK Government and the insurance industry (the ' Statement of Principles') which ensures that most home insurance policies cover flood damage. However, the number of properties at risk of flooding is increasing along with the cost of insurance.

There are a number of organisations providing support and advice for those trying to insure higher risk properties. If you are in a flood risk area and need further information on obtaining flood insurance, please visit the following websites for more information:

It is possible that your insurance company will ask for an Insurance Related Request letter detailing how strong the flood risk to your property is and how much protection current or planned flood defences will afford. These can be requested by contacting the Environment Agency at enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk.

For more advice on getting insurance, see the Gov.uk website: HERE.

Flood Re

A national scheme called 'Flood Re' has come into existence. It is designed to help provide better access to affordable home insurance for those in high flood-risk areas across the UK. It introduces a cap on insurance premiums for those living in high flood risk areas. Eligibility for a cap will depend on your Council Tax band and the age of your property.

It represents a long-term, sustainable approach to providing home insurance for those at flood risk. Click on the following link to view an information leaflet describing how Flood Re works: Flood Re leaflet

There is also a video with more information at http://www.floodre.co.uk/customer-info.

If you live in a high flood-risk area, it is important that you shop around for the best insurance policy. A list of participating insurers is available at www.floodre.co.uk

If you would like to  get in touch to obtain more information please email publicaffairs@floodre.co.uk

Insurance claims after flooding

  1. Ring your insurance company and register your claim.
  2. Take photos of all your possessions and one of the tide mark on the wall that the flood water has left.
  3. Make a note of the reading on your electric metre.
  4. Don't turn on your electricity until it has been checked.
  5. Take a small notebook around with you to note down who you have spoken to, their names, who they work for, what they do, phone number, email, date and time you spoke to them, and what they said.

Your insurer will arrange for a loss adjuster and other specialists to visit your home. Do not throw anything away until they have paid you a visit. 

We are on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube! Follow or like us for up to date facts, videos and pictures

Please click on the links below to find us...

Facebook Logo Twitter Logo Eastern Solent CP YouTube channel